Thursday, September 13, 2012


Reading Reflection Week Four

The Kleshas and the Karmas II.10-II.17

II.11 The states of mind produced by these klesas are eliminated by meditation

I was looking online for more information about klesas and I found that klesas are defined as “mental states that cloud the mind and manifest in unwholesome actions.” I immediately could picture in my mind emotions that clouded my mind and my judgement such as anger, jealousy, and fear. Thinking about these “clouds,” I pictured meditation clearing the mind and the fog of klesas dissipating. I have seen meditation in class bring me to a point where my mind is clear. I think that is why I am enjoying yoga so much this second time around at Baylor. The meditation part of yoga is so important to the entire experience. Without the meditation, the yoga practice is incomplete.

II.12 The stock of karma has klesas at its root. It is experienced in present or future lives.

This sutra reminds me that thoughts lead to actions which lead to consequences. It is so important to control and regulate my states of mind as they inform my actions. This summer, I was able to see firsthand how this idea is becoming part of educational reform in various parts of America. I worked with an after-school and summer-school program that served male youth in the underserved wards of Southeast D.C. This program used meditation throughout the day to prepare the students for the beginning of day, lunch, as well leaving the program at the end of the day to return to their homes. It was the first time I had seen that used in a school, but I could immediately see the results of that meditation. The boys were able to clear their minds of those cloudy states of mind and clearly see what is the correct behavior and actions. 

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that's great to hear about mediation in the educational reform programs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. The meditation is such an important part of practice. It helps clear your mind and prepare your for whatever situations you are about to encounter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I will have to try this with my son in order to clear his mind and calm him for everyday tasks like eating and doing his homework. I wonder if meditation is also used in therapy for perhaps children with A.D.D. or A.D.H.D?

    ReplyDelete